A few sunny days are beginning to creep into the Irish weather and while we’re a long way from summer yet, I’m taking this as the start of cocktail season.
The Strawberry Daiquiri is an incredibly popular rum-based cocktail, especially with the girls, but it’s also fairly simple to make at home.
Most things might even be in the fridge already, other than the grenadine, but I’ll say it now and probably a thousand times again, if there’s anything you should pick up for your home bar, it’s a bottle of grenadine. It adds something amazing to any fruity drink and you can make a cocktail style concoction with just vodka, any cordial and a splash of grenadine. It’s really cheap from most off-licences, less than a tenner, and it will last for ages, as it’s strong and only a tiny dash is needed.
(If you’re really stuck, a quick google will give you a load of recipes for making grenadine syrup at home.)
Once you have that, the rest is easy.
You will need:
- Large handful of ice
- Large handful of frozen strawberries
- A dash of grenadine
- A shot of white rum (35ml)
- A half lime worth of juice
- Two teaspoons of sugar
Blend the lot together until smooth.
Garnish with a strawberry and enjoy.
- Some recipes would say to add the rum last after the blending but personally I think this way is easiest and they taste the same.
- You can switch out the lime juice for anything you fancy, apple, orange, lemon etc.
- If you have the time, first rim the glass with lime juice and dip in sugar for extra presentation points.
- This is the frozen daiquiri, to make it a regular daiquiri you simply shake the ingredients, without the ice or freezing the strawberries, and strain into a glass in the same way.
Thanks for reading ❤